Beauty and health are often distinguished as different avenues of wellness. In reality, several medical treatments enhanced with new and advanced technologies are bridging these two disciplines. The booming medical spa industry continues to capture the interest of patients who need medical support to achieve their body and health goals.
If you’re interested in medically-supervised aesthetic services, consulting a medical spa is the safest way to go. In this post, we’ll share everything you need to know about a medical spa, including its services and how it’s different from other aesthetic clinics.
What is a medical spa?
A medical spa or medspa is a medically-supervised treatment center for physical enhancement services that require the expertise and intervention of a physician or medical specialist.
Unlike day spas, medical spas are more result-driven than focusing on patient relaxation. Its main goal is leaning more toward medical interventions that can speed up and enhance a person’s journey in achieving their goals. However, some medspas also offer treatments similar to a typical day spa, such as facials where doctor supervision is not required.
What is the difference between a medspa and other medical and aesthetic services?
With all the wellness centers and aesthetic clinics around, it can be hard to distinguish which does for what. So, here’s a brief comparison between medspa and other aesthetic service providers:
Medical spa vs. traditional spa
A doctor and medical services, both invasive and non-invasive, are the factors that set the difference between a traditional spa and a medspa. Treatments done in a medspa can pose risks if they are improperly administered to a patient. It’s also where the expertise of a physician gets more crucial than a spa aesthetician.
Medical spa vs. aesthetic practice
There is a thin line between a medspa and an aesthetic practice. Medical spas are owned by medical professionals as an extension of their medical practice or solely to provide medically-supervised aesthetic services.
Aesthetic practice can be owned by a dermatologist or a medical professional but operates to a certain extent. Certain chemicals and invasive procedures are not allowed to be performed by a licensed aesthetician. Therefore, a medical spa can cover all the services that an aesthetic practice can offer but not vice versa.
What confuses most patients are the similar services that these two entities offer, including skin treatments, hair removals, tattoo removals, IPLs, and more.
Medical spa vs dermatologist
Both medical spa and dermatologist have the same services when it comes to skin treatments. However, a dermatologist’s goal is not only to boost skin health but also to diagnose and treat skin conditions such as psoriasis and contact dermatitis. They are licensed to issue a prescription to patients and monitor their progress within a specific timeframe.
What are the most popular services offered in a medical spa?
Many patients are wondering what type of services draw the attention of patients to a medspa. You can visit a day spa for a wax session or an aesthetic practice for a facial. However, a medspa can provide a broader range of services encompassing the services from a day spa and medical aesthetic practice. These services include but not limited to:
- Dermatological services: A medspa can offer dermatological services through an in-house dermatologist. If a dermatologist doesn’t handle your skincare services in a medspa, it is not considered a dermatological consult. Some dermatological services in a medspa include:
- Medical aesthetic services: Medspa offers doctor-supervised procedures for cosmetic enhancements such as:
- Weight management: A weight management program is one of the services that sets a medspa apart from an aesthetic service provider. Medical spas offer fat-burning treatments using HCG and construct weight loss plans monitored by a physician.
- Medical services: A medspa is usually an extension of the medical practice owned by a group of physicians. So it’s not uncommon that you can also go to a medspa for a consultation with medical specialists such as:
- Skincare treatments: Like other aesthetic service providers, a medspa can also offer skincare services like facials and hair removals.
Experience the Metrolina Med Difference: Your one-stop medspa for a healthier you
Go on the safer route towards beauty and wellness by going to a medical spa. Our medical team will make sure that your first medspa experience is a rewarding one. Metrolina Medical Associates is a trusted medical spa in Rock Hill, SC. We provide comprehensive medical services, medical aesthetic treatments, and weight management programs.
Schedule your appointment now and give yourself the wellness it deserves with the medical experts you can trust.